Swimming is one of the most effective (and enjoyable) ways to exercise your body and improve your fitness. Regular swimming has not only been proven to increase cardiovascular fitness and build muscle, but it will leave you slimmer, stronger, more flexible, and less stressed.
Pre-booking is no longer required for gym and swim sessions.
But please continue to use our Brimhams Active app to book fitness classes or contact us to book Aquafit classes.
When you visit we politely ask you to continue to wear a face mask, use hand sanitiser and keep a safe distance.
"I wouldn't say anything is impossible. I think that everything is possible as long as you put your mind to it and put the work and time into it."Michael Phelps
Swimming is a great workout because you need to move your whole body against the resistance of the water.
Swimming is a good all-round activity because it:
- keeps your heart rate up but takes some of the impact stress off your body
- builds endurance, muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness
- helps maintain a healthy weight, healthy heart and lungs
- tones muscles and builds strength
- provides an all-over body workout, as nearly all of your muscles are used during swimming
Swimming has many other benefits including:
- being a relaxing and peaceful form of exercise
- alleviating stress
- improving coordination, balance and posture
- improving flexibility
- providing good low-impact therapy for some injuries and conditions
We run a performance swimming programme for competitive swimmers in partnership with Harrogate District Swimming Club. The club provides volunteer support to enable swimmers to realise their potential.
The programme is one of the next steps form our Learn to Swim programme and focuses on competitive swimming, from foundation club level through to national competitions and events.
Entry is through an invite from the coaching team via trials.
For more information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Become a member
You could save money with a Brimhams Active monthly membership. We won't lock you into a long contract nor do we charge a joining fee.
We offer a range of activities to inspire children at our pools, in our gyms and in our community centres. It could start as a simple swim but end up being a journey to them becoming an elite athlete.