Fit4Life is a 12 week weight management programme that aims to promote healthy eating and physical activity to achieve healthy weight loss. We will support and motivate participants to change their lifestyles to improve their health.
The programmes are run by qualified health and exercise experts to ensure the course can be tailored to you.
We use a variety of techniques to teach you about food choices change your current behaviour and develop a healthy relationship with food whilst introducing you to exercises to help in the weight loss journey.
We also offer a gym and swim option where participants can make full use of our Brimhams Active facilities whilst on their weight loss journey.
"Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much." Helen Keller
Fit4Life is run throughout the Harrogate district with a variety of classes in Harrogate, Ripon, Knaresborough, Boroughbridge and Nidderdale. Available both during the day and on an evening to ensure the best fit for your needs. The classes are held within community-based venues.
Monday 7.30pm until 9pm - men's class at Jennyfield Wellbeing Hub
Tuesday 9.45am until 11.15am at Hugh Ripley Hall, Ripon
Tuesday 6pm until 6.30pm and 6.30pm until 7pm - nutrition class at Jennyfield Wellbeing Hub
Wednesday 1pm until 2.30pm at Fairfax Wellbeing Hub
Thursday 3.30pm until 5.30pm at Knaresborough Wellbeing Hub
Friday 3pm until 4.30pm at Fairfax Wellbeing Hub
To join the programme you must fit the following criteria:
- aged 18+
- Body Mass Index (BMI) 30 and above, with the exception of people from the BAME group and people with comorbidities such as hypertension, diabetes, cardiac and respiratory problems where the BMI is 25 or above
- commitment for the 12 week programme
- willing to commit to losing 5% of body weight
- no uncontrolled comorbidities
Please consult your GP for a medical referral if applicable
The course is free of charge thanks to funding from North Yorkshire County Council for the 12 week period for those who meet the eligibility criteria with a maintenance programme offered free of charge for a further 12 weeks for those who successfully lose 5% of their body weight.
The structure of the course?
- to start the programme you need to book an initial induction via the booking line 01423 556106. You will then have an initial 1-to-1 induction in private with your instructor, which will be held either at your preferred class venue or at our main health hub, Fairfax Wellbeing Hub. During the induction, you will set some goals, have measurements taken and be entered into the system. You will also be required to fill out a health and lifestyle form with any current medication
- you will attend the same class each week for 12 consecutive weeks where you will be weighed, partake in physical activity which has been tailored to you and engage in a weight management specific nutrition talk to help with behaviour change. By enrolling on the programme you are committing to attending the full programme
- the programme runs on a rolling 12 week process with a different nutritional topic addressed each week, this means you may not start on 'week one' but will still receive the full 12 weeks but maybe in a slightly different order. Use this time to learn the facts behind the food you eat to learn how to make better choices
- to get the best experience from the programme ask as many questions to your instructor as needed, wear comfortable clothes and sensible shoes (trainers if possible), bring a bottle of water and come with an open mind to try new exercise
- the classes are formatted in a 'circuits' based exercise style as these are easily adaptable to each individual. There may be some things you think you can't do, but your instructor will help you find a way of making the exercise more suitable
Here are what other people have said about the programme
"I was referred to the Fit 4 Life programme by my GP and although it was explained to me that it would not be, I took it to mind that it would be another calorie counting weight loss club, which I never had success with before. Week three I overheard other people's weight loss amounts which made me feel bad as I had not tried to lose any and decided to be a bit healthier in my choice of meals for the coming week. Week four was a real eye-opener and this got me motivated. Week four I lost 4 lbs and going through the fat section of the programme I got to see physically how much that 4 lbs looked like and could feel its physical weight. My interest was peaked and I have been healthy eating since.
The Fit4Life team has been very supportive and constantly stress how healthy eating and making healthy choices for yourself is the best way forward for lifelong health and fitness. They arm you with all the knowledge you need to continue after the course finishes and for me, it has been life-changing. I exercise more and make informed choices when it comes to meals for myself and my family which can be used in all situations, whether it's weekly food shopping, eating out, ordering a takeaway, to meeting friends for a coffee. It comes naturally and is totally stress-free.
Thank you Fit4Life." - total weight loss = 1 stone 7 lbs, 5 inches from the waist and 7.5 inches from hips!
"Over the last 12 weeks I have really enjoyed the fit for life sessions, the exercises have been varied and this helps to keep me more engaged as we're not doing the same things over and over as I would be in a gym. This has helped to keep me focused and I've enjoyed doing the exercises. The weekly challenges from drinking more water, to doing calf raises whilst the kettle boils, have really helped to keep me focused through the week. My eating habits have changed and I love that Holly has not preached about calorie counting and has actively encouraged me to have a little bit of what I fancy every now and again, this in itself has helped me to make an actual change to the way I eat, rather than starving myself for 12 weeks and then going back to old habits. I have made a positive change to my food, I am conscious of things such as low fat often been full of sugar, I have tried (and like) alternative snacks such as Nakd bars and soya yoghurt, things I never thought I would do! Although my weight loss was not massive, I believe that I have made the change for good, and the weight will continue to go down at a slow and steady pace, which is perfect and something I feel I can sustain. I was most surprised by the loss of 4 cms around my waist, I didn't actually believe the weight I had lost had made that much difference but it has made a huge difference and this has made me even more determined to continue on my journey and succeed.
Thank you for helping me make this change." - lost 1.5 inches around the waist!
"I was referred on to the Fit4Life course by my GP due to being overweight (18 stone 4 lbs, BMI 33.2, waist 45 inches, hips 46 inches), having a high liver function result and suffering from anxiety and depression. Due to my mental health issues, it was initially daunting starting on the course but the instructors were great as were the other participants who helped me settle straight into it. The exercises were at a good pace and you generally got out of it what you put in as there was a mix of abilities in the class. Some of the core exercises I learned in the class I begin to carry on at home which helped me progress quickly. The nutrition information was very informative and really helped me restructure my eating habits. With the holistic approach of increased exercise and improved nutrition, the weight (or more precisely the fat) began to fall off and I finished the 12 week course at a weight of 16 stone 6lbs (BMI 28.5, waist 41 inches, hips 42 inches), a total loss of 1 stone and 12lbs in 12 weeks. The physical impact is noticeable but the impact on my mental health has also been significant and I'm now much more active and getting out to gym classes, swimming, running and even yoga, something which I didn't think possible a year ago. I'm now down to 16 stone and am about to begin two months of training for a charity boxing match in aid of Cancer Research at Christmas and am also investigating the potential of working in the health and fitness industry. I would highly recommend the course to anyone, it's well thought out, very inclusive and from my perspective set me on a journey I hope to continue."